Sunday, August 31, 2008

Disappointment is easier than more of the same

A letter writer to the Los Angeles Times 8/31 wrote in response to Andrew Bacevich's Op-Ed piece warning that the next president will disappoint:

(copied from my actual newspaper. The Los Angeles Times search engine sucks or they don't put letters up on the net until later.)
Bacevich is half-right. Barack Obama, if elected president, may very well disappoint me. John McCain will not.

Obama promises a better America, a better world. Considering the scope of the challenges that await him, he may very well fail - and disappoint me.

On the other hand, the goals of McCain are relatively easy: a continuation of the policies of the Bush years - endless war (bomb, bomb, bomb) and favoring the rich and powerful at the expense of the middle class (home, home, home). If McCain is elected, I am convinced that he will not disappoint his voters.

Personally, I'll risk disappointment.

Ronald Rubin, Topanga.

No comments: