Tuesday, May 01, 2007

In honor of Mission Accomplished Day

We have come around to where we began:
Four years after “Mission Accomplished,” American troop levels in Iraq are where they were in May 2003. There were 150,000 American troops in Iraq in May 2003. Today there are 146,000 troops in Iraq.
I guess this is what the Eternal War On Terror will look like: enough hard right turns and you end up in the same place....

We're staying the course! Turn to the right again!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Update: Maybe he's singing this song:

'Tis the gift to be simple,
'tis the gift to be free,
'tis the gift to come down where you ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
It will be in the valley of love and delight.

Refrain:

When true simplicity is gained,
To bow and to bend we shan't be ashamed.
To turn, turn will be our delight,
'Til by turning, turning we come round right

But with a whole different meaning?

4 comments:

Steve Bates said...

Both Shaker Elder Brackett, who wrote that work, and Aaron Copland, who provided the famous 20th-century orchestral setting in Appalachian Spring with which we're all familiar, surely just turned in their respective graves at the thought of the Shrubbery singing their glorious song. No doubt Dubya could stand the influence, though; maybe he will come to understand "come round right" in its original meaning.

ellroon said...

'Come round right' to Bush is to land face up on the lawn after a binge.

And as I love this song, I did not intend to besmirch it.... just misuse it a bit...

Steve Bates said...

ellroon, as I reread this and the thread to the post downstream, I feel I have given you grief beyond what you deserved in musical matters.

As for besmirching the song we both love, hell, if I felt like it, I'd write a parody of it, as I often do of other beloved songs... do I have any room to criticize besmirching of beloved songs? It's my stock in trade! :)

ellroon said...

You have never given me grief, Steve, and I am grateful for your presence.

It is delightful to have new things to learn. Never apologize.