Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Others than Spocko hear the hate dripping from KSFO

From Spocko's Brain:
From Media Magazine, by Tom Siebert, February 2007 issue
It's one thing to read KSFO host Melanie Morgan complaining that the San Francisco Chronicle is trying to influence a California congressional race by altering a photo of Rep. Richard Pombo so he appears "furtive and dark," but it's another thing entirely to actually listen to the sound bite and hear the way she spits out the word "black" in her comment: "It is shaded to where it looks like he's a black man. ... I think it's just shameful."

The way she says the word, she makes it sound like being black would be the worst thing in the world - because to Melanie Morgan, it probably would be. And it's far more shocking than reading it on the page.

As you listen to the KSFO segments, the hatred in the hosts' voices comes through so much stronger than reading it. There is a truly chilling moment listening to morning talk host Lee Rodgers ruminate: "The day will come when unpleasant things are going to happen to a bunch of stupid liberals. ... It's going to be very amusing to watch."

Spocko has the audio of the quote. Amazing what happens when you spew hate out onto the air waves and it is caught. I'm sure Melanie Morgan, Lee Rodgers and KSFO are proud.

Update: Eli at Multi-Medium has the ultimate cartoon.

2 comments:

mapaghimagsik said...

Fickle. I used to be your ultimate comic.
But I can't disagree with you. Ballard Street is *awesome*

Besides, you still blogroll me, even when I got stalled out for a month 'crashing the gate' so to speak.

But wow, did I get new material!

ellroon said...

I am truly fickle, but also totally distractable. I wait with bated breath!