Monday, February 04, 2008

Hot water from the tap should never be used for cooking or drinking.

Oh. Wow. Thanks:

Lead is rarely found in source water, but can enter it through corroded plumbing. The Environmental Protection Agency says that older homes are more likely to have lead pipes and fixtures, but that even newer plumbing advertised as “lead-free” can still contain as much as 8 percent lead. A study published in The Journal of Environmental Health in 2002 found that tap water represented 14 to 20 percent of total lead exposure.

Scientists emphasize that the risk is small. But to minimize it, the E.P.A. says cold tap water should always be used for preparing baby formula, cooking and drinking. It also warns that boiling water does not remove lead but can actually increase its concentration.
So... don't drink the hot water while you are showering?

And how do you check for lead in your house? Low grades at the elementary school? Are we poisoning our kids by making them drink water? Do they have a test that enables people to check their water supply? WTF?

2 comments:

Steve Bates said...

Are the pipes made in China, by chance?

I filter my drinking water using one of those pitchers, and I run cooking water and coffee water from the cold faucet... all this despite the fact that Houston's city water is recognized by some experts (yes, I knew some at UTSPH) as being respectable compared to that of other cities. This place is about 35 years old; I doubt it has lead in the pipes... but why take chances. There are more enjoyable ways of poisoning oneself.

ellroon said...

I had no idea. I think I'm poisoning myself by breathing and eating stuff. Better stop...