Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Dammit.

I had been hoping he'd hang in there for Super Tuesday:

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Democrat John Edwards bowed out of the race for the Democratic presidential nomination on Wednesday, saying it was time to step aside "so that history can blaze its path" in a campaign now left to Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama.

"With our convictions and a little backbone we will take back the White House in November," said Edwards, ending his second campaign in a hurricane-ravaged section of New Orleans where he began it more than a year ago.

Edwards said Clinton and Obama had both pledged that "they will make ending poverty central to their campaign for the presidency."

"This is the cause of my life and I now have their commitment to engage in this cause," he said before a small group of supporters. He was joined by his wife Elizabeth and his three children, Cate, Emma Claire and Jack.

I'm really tired of the media tweaking the truth to get a 'two man race' and blathering about gender and race while ignoring Edwards. A really good example was on the Republican side where they frothed about Romney, McCain and Giuliani. Giuliani, who was polling LOWER than Ron Paul, yet they ignored Paul altogether.

Haven't we learned anything in the last horrible eight years? Tell us the facts and let us make up our own minds.

6 comments:

mapaghimagsik said...

It is a shame. Now my symbolic vote for progressive values goes away.

I'm having trouble deciding between Clinton and Obama.

But I won't have one iota of problem come the election.

ellroon said...

Same here.

JJ said...

I liked Edwards too, very sad to see him go. Maybe he'll get chosen for VP?

ellroon said...

I have to confess I felt Obama and Clinton would collide so against each other that Edwards would rise up between them as they knocked each other out of the ring.

VP would be good. Not great, but good.

Anonymous said...

It's a tragic loss. I hope Clinton and Obama hold to their promises to make poverty a central issue.

ellroon said...

Now the media has them where they want them: Duel to the Death! Cage Match! Gender vs Race! Who will win???

*sigh*