Thursday, February 19, 2009

Not a multiple choice question

Write your answer in full citing scientific research.

DB shows how one scientist responded to Creationists (via PZ Myers). Click to read the excellent response.

As for me, I grew up religious and throughout my schooling I came across concepts that were not acceptable to my religion. My church's and family's reaction was not to force the school district to implement my faith's tenets into the curriculum, but to take the classes needed without demur. My faith was not shaken by exposure to alternate theories, I was not contaminated by thinking scientifically. (Why I left my church later is easily explained. I grew up.)

This bizarre need of Creationists to sweep reality aside for their children so they won't hear anything but their own ideas echoed back is sad. Is their understanding of God so fragile that even the whisper about the theory of evolution makes them fall from grace? Are they that afraid of the scientific process, fact-finding and rigorous methods of proof that they must deny its worth?

If God is All, then asking questions and demanding answers shouldn't indicate weakness of spirit or lack of faith. It shows an eagerness to learn which is what humans are hardwired to do. How does creeping and peeking through life, recoiling at facts and saying no constantly honor His creation?

Religion belongs in church. It does not belong in school (unless it's a class about religion, the Bible, philosophy, etc). Trying to jam faith-based ideas into a science class weakens both and does neither any service.

*edited for clarity.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blind faith is nothing. If you are afraid to ask questions, or seek truth for yourself, you learn nothing. Ignorance is not religion.

ellroon said...

Ignorance is not religion. Nicely said, Mahakal, and amen to that!

DB said...

Thanks for the h/t :-)

Most people don't care to question things. They prefer the comforts of their lives too much to seek honest answers. Sadly though, the creationists are actively convincing others of things they know not to be true simply to justify their own selfish need for comfort over truth.

ellroon said...

I wish they didn't feel they must force their beliefs on us. I know they feel they are right and are compelled to save us from certain doom. Are they aware how insulting it is for them to pass judgment on others' philosophical and religious choices?

The God I know is not the one hurling thunderbolts in the End Of Days nor allowing demons to lurk in science books, thanks all the same.

ellroon said...

I think I'd rather go to hell with the interesting people than hang out with the self-righteous....

DB said...

Seriously. Looking at who "gets to go" to heaven, I think it would be my own personal hell being stuck with them for eternity.

ellroon said...

Sartre's novel No Exit comes to mind...

Anonymous said...

"Hell is other people." I'm reminded of a story about a delicious soup served with a spoon too long to reach your mouth from your own hand.

One group of people sits around the soup and starves, because they cannot feed themselves. The other group takes the spoon and uses it to feed soup to one another and has a lovely meal.

ellroon said...

Thanks for that delightful parable, Mahakal. I really appreciate your attitude. Big hugs!