Thursday, January 03, 2008

It's actually an SOS signal

Prepare for the alien invasion!:

Hampton, VA (AHN) - Initial results of a National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) satellite study of the polar night clouds indicate that the phenomenon is getting brighter and expanding, so that its visibility now reach farther from the poles.

Jim Russell, Hampton University's atmospheric science professor and lead researcher of the Aeronomy of Ice in the Mesosphere (AIM) satellite project, theorizes that global warming is causing the changes in night clouds. AIM is the first satellite to study the night clouds.



Photobucket

Photobucket
(Pictures lifted from here.)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too late, they've been here all along.

ellroon said...

Doooo DEEEEE doooo dohhhhhh... weird SciFi music....

Steve Bates said...

Aeronomy? That word is new to me. Sung to a familiar tune from Cats: "I believe... it is all... due t' Aeronomy"

ellroon said...

I think they just made it up on the spur of the moment, to throw the uneducated taxpayer off the scent.

I mean... it's obviously quite fun to travel around with a truckload of expensive equipment, taking pictures of the night skies... maybe needing a cute assistant or two...

And Steve, I've got that damned song stuck in my head now because of you!

Anonymous said...

Anyone seen a TARDIS around?

ellroon said...

Had to google TARDIS...

I really should watch the Dr. Who series... there are two now, right? Have you seen them, Michael? If you have, which series would you recommend?

Anonymous said...

They're all good, it doesn't matter much where you start in as far as I'm concerned, but BBC America's been running it lately and I've caught the occasional episode. I used to watch back in the days of Tom Baker, when Douglas Adams used to write for the show.

Anonymous said...

Of course I think they were reruns, carried on public television, so I don't know, but it was while Douglas Adams was still alive at any rate.

ellroon said...

I have to go reread the Hitchhiker book. I read it a few years ago and really didn't get the humor nor the hype.

That said, having him on the show must have been wild.

Anonymous said...

Well he wasn't exactly on the show, he just wrote for it, much as his sense of humor was pervasive it affected the show of course...if you actually cared for his humor, I guess it would matter more.

Anonymous said...

Here's a brief clip, anyhow.

ellroon said...

Fun, thanks!