Monday, January 14, 2008

Can't you take the fifth?

A Vermont judge sent his sheriff to the mall to round up a jury that could fairly try a child molester.
They stopped passers-by and asked if they were residents of Caledonia County; a "yes" answer won a summons to appear at the courthouse for jury duty immediately, right now, this minute. They rounded up 45 people that way in all, to join the 34 already at the courthouse.

Most people apparently did not mind being summoned for surprise jury service. According to the sheriff, "99.9 percent were just excellent" about being summoned on a sidewalk and ordered to report to the courthouse immediately." Deputies were also dispatched to the local post office and supermarket.

[snip]

Dredging malls for juries is a surprisingly common tactic for judges in North Carolina, Pennsylvania, and Vermont. Next time you see a sheriff in the mall, walk the other way unless you want an impromptu civics lesson.

Um.... Wouldn't this make the jury just a bit hostile? Or somewhat hasty to reach a verdict?

4 comments:

Steve Bates said...

A local Harris County (Houston) deputy sheriff engaged in this practice so often, drafting customers in a gigantic grocery store across the street from a county courthouse annex, that the store filed a complaint with the Sheriff's Department, because some people stopped shopping there for fear of being drafted as jurors. I don't know what the outcome was.

In general, I do not attempt to get out of jury duty (even though I'm called twice as often as is typical, because of a name mismatch between my voter registration and driver's license). But I believe I would find some honest excuse to get out of such a draft.

ellroon said...

Exactly, Steve. People need to arrange their schedules, child care, appointments.. Good grief.

I actually enjoyed watching the process the last jury duty I had and will willingly serve again. Just don't commandeer me off the street!

hipparchia said...

i've never been chosen for jury duty. they always find some reason to not want me on their juries. my favorite was the time the defense lawyer was my next door neighbor and the prosecutor was a drinking buddy.

ellroon said...

You obviously hang out with a fun crowd, Hipparchia!