Saturday, January 26, 2008

Exposing our worst side to our friends

The former British Ambassador to the Republic of Uzbekistan, Craig Murray discovers what we have been fighting against for years in the United States... the insidious theocrats:
Last year I delivered a talk on Central Asia at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. As I sat preparing my lecture, I had the television on low in my hotel room because I don't like complete silence. Gradually I found myself listening intently to an evangelical preacher, telling his TV congregation that they should not worry about casualties in Iraq because the Bible showed us that there had to be a great and bloody conflict in the Middle East before the Second Coming of Christ. So the more people who died in these wars, the closer we are to Jesus.

Now that message would be acceptable to very few people in the UK - just Tony Blair and his immediate friends, really. I related this astonishing thing I had heard to some American lecturers over lunch. They told me that at least a third of their students would believe this stuff. And this was Ann Arbor, not the Deep South. It is essential that we all wake up now to the fact that the US is a deeply disturbed and psychotic society, and by far the biggest danger to world peace.

Sorry, Mr. Murray. The fundamentalists were promised a seat at the high table by the Bush administration. As soon as we get a Democrat back in the White House, we will attempt to put them back in their cages. It won't be easy because they've tasted power and money and want more.

Update:
Photobucket

And Bush did it all just so he could get elected.

1 comment:

Distributorcap said...

can you only imagine if Huckapoo somehow gets into the white house, even as Veep.

i am so tired of this deference to organized religion and all its power. they want to fine ABC millions of dollars for show a bare ass -- but John Gibson can say what he wants about Heath Ledger and gays and just apologize