Friday, March 23, 2007

Women in refrigerators

Reader mapaghimagsik gave me a link to Women In Refrigerators, a view of women in comics. The question is why women superheroes seem to end up tragically horribly brutalized, raped, murdered, crushed. Are they more 'depowered' than male superheroes?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The writer Gail Simone interviewed a clutch of comic book writers and got some very intriguing answers. Most boil down to the statement that bosomy women sell comics to young adolescent boys, and the reason the women get the tar beaten out of them is the fear these young men have towards dominant and strong women. Yet there are some female writers (one that sticks out is Devin Grayson) who add a new perspective to the art of comic book writing.
Having read and collected hundreds of comics in my teens (back when they had very few ads and a lot more pages, a lot more plot!) I wondered about this. Did I just ignore the women being misused and abused? No. I think I recognized plot devices even then. I remember laughing about Spiderman's Aunt May who must have had superhuman strength to endure the multitudes of heart attacks that were thrown in whenever the plot grew stale.

The art has become truly more graphic now, and the sex and the brutality more raw; but is it any different from what people would get from tv or the net? I don't know. All women in comics seem to have very little in the way of clothes and extremely inflated breasts filled with helium. Must be written into the female super hero contract. Is it a put down of women? No, the men are covered with more muscles than can ever be achieved by the gym. They are the iconic male, female figures. Never ugly unless evil, never less than perfect in muscle and curves.
The difficulties must come from the mind or outside of the body.

Does it matter? Yes, the view that women are prey is hard wired into our society and the sooner we recognize it and begin to root it out the better. Can we get rid of it all? No.

But in the end, I think the writing will always be the make or break of the comic. If it is well-written, the reader will put up with much. If it is poorly written, the reader will go elsewhere, even if the art work is stunning.

Update: Slightly OT, but via Unrepentant Hippie, Yes but No but Yes offers the Top 15 Unintentionally Funny Comic Book Panels:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh ellroon, just found your update, LOL, must be a great site. Back OT, I think you are way too kind saying things like "..if it is well written..." "..even if the art work is stunning.." I didn't post earlier to this because I'm afraid I can't be responsible what might happen if I let loose that ol' card-carrying member of NOW and veteran of many CR groups & give you MY take on "..why women superheroes seem to end up tragically horribly brutalized, raped, murdered, crushed." Honey, it ain't just cutesy "women superheroes" it is Women!! as protrayed in every Eff-ing part of our society. And not just portrayed!! ~ hell-lo ~...and how about, hello?, "in fucking reality???" AhhhAagghh.
Ok Ok Goddess make me stop. I'm about to really loose it here.

(Does this mean maybe I should get my own blog???) ~ Cheers ~

ellroon said...

I agree with you, sagemarm. I know too well Hollywood's penchant for using women as disposable distractions, society's acceptance of women being stalked, singled out as prey.

But within the arena of the comics, is it the same? Since I don't read comics now, except for the ones my daughter brings home, are they worse or better than when I was collecting? Art not only reflects society but affects conventional attitudes. Are comics helping or hindering?

I have been shaken to my very insides by some very ugly art, hateful, violent, and extremely powerful. Powerful because it was from the very heart of the painter, in all its rawness. I may recoil, but I would never deny the artist's need and right to paint it. That said, you can tell when the art is true and when it is just gratuitous.

So, having enjoyed the storylines of many comics, I would hope that those who have a tale to tell tell it well. I would hope they would uplift rather than debase, empower rather than belittle. If women are involved in the plot, any violence towards them would immediately expose the writer's abilities. Is it necessary and solid? Or is it gratuitous?

Anonymous said...

Thank you ~ and for giving me some solid ideas to honor by devoting brain time to calm down and 'mull-over'.