Tuesday, April 01, 2008

How can McCain tell what he thinks

Until he reads what he said?
Mr. McCain: (Laughs) “Are we on the Straight Talk express? I’m not informed enough on it. Let me find out. You know, I’m sure I’ve taken a position on it on the past. I have to find out what my position was. Brian, would you find out what my position is on contraception – I’m sure I’m opposed to government spending on it, I’m sure I support the president’s policies on it.”
(Quote stolen from a post by Steve Bates of The Yellow Doggerel Democrat)

I mean... what could possibly go wrong when you mix up the forces involved in the Iraq Quagmire? Al Qaeda? Sunnis? Shia? Saudis? Iran? What does it matter, when you can make jokes like this about sovereign countries?:



So... those who are going to vote in another potential Alzheimer's patient intend letting the inmates run the asylum again. It worked out so well the last time...
"By the end of his term, 138 Reagan administration officials had been convicted, had been indicted, or had been the subject of official investigations for official misconduct and/or criminal violations. In terms of number of officials involved, the record of his administration was the worst ever."
Maybe because:
After his diagnosis, there was considerable speculation over whether Reagan had demonstrated symptoms of mental degeneration while in office.[165] Former CBS White House Press Corps Lesley Stahl recalls in her book Reporting Live, an "unsettling" interview with the president where "a vacant Reagan barely seemed to realize anyone else was in the room", and that before he "reemerged into alertness" she recalls that "I had come that close to reporting that Reagan was senile."[166] Reagan would also encounter occasional difficulty recalling names and titles, notably while meeting with Japanese Prime Minister Yasuhiro Nakasone wherein he repeatedly referred to his Vice President as "Prime Minister Bush."[167] Reagan's doctors, however, note that he only began exhibiting overt symptoms of the illness in late 1992, several years after he had left office.[168] His former staff also defended him; Chief of Staff James Baker considered "ludicrous" the idea of Reagan sleeping during cabinet meetings.

7 comments:

Sorghum Crow said...

Grandpa McCain may or may not be senile, but there are some pathways that would not pass the building code.

(Ellroon, I have a surprise for you at my store)

Sorghum Crow said...

That doesn't sound right. What i mean is that his wiring is not up to code.

Steve Bates said...

(sorghum crow, McCain's code is not up to code, either.)

James Baker lied. (Big surprise, eh?) Reagan's observed decline was utterly typical of Alzheimer's disease.

Lesley Stahl's report of Reagan's behavior is quite characteristic of early-stage Alzheimer's: the victim alternates periods of vacancy, complete lucidity, and confabulation. I know this firsthand, from experience with my late mother.

Once, a couple of years before Mom was diagnosed, I sat her down and tried to get her to trace the family tree on her side. I had a lot of trouble following what she said, and later, when I examined my notes, I couldn't make sense of them. In retrospect, she was already confused. It's a horrifying disease, and I hope and pray McCain does not suffer it.

But if he does, the last thing we need... the last thing he needs... is for him to become president.

ellroon said...

Squirrel underpants, SC! There will be harmony and peace now that we are able to contain these rabid rodents and cover their naughty bits!

ellroon said...

Every time you mention the difficulties you dealt with, Steve, I realize Alzheimer's is such a terrible way to unravel and die.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that with your mom. I hope you can remember her in her good times rather than when the disease had erased who she was. Big hugs to you.

Steve Bates said...

ellroon, your hugs are gratefully accepted, but there is nothing more normal and human than the sadness of witnessing one's parents' decline and death. I don't know your age, or the status of your parents, but please trust me on this: everyone who outlives his or her parents goes through it, and it's never pretty. I claim no special or unusual emotional trauma for my parents' demise; it happens to everyone. And yes, I most certainly remember the good times with my mother, as did my father, however much we were impacted by the tragedy of her decline. (For goodness' sake, Stella's mother died quite some years before the age Stella is now. Compared to Stella, I have no cause to complain.)

I repeatedly mention my mother's demise via Alzheimer's for two reasons...

First, Alzheimer's disease still has no known cure, 18 years after my mother's death; that surprises me and concerns me. Second, we have already endured one president (Reagan) with full-blown Alzheimer's disease, and I feel an outright duty to do my best to see to it that we do not have another.

Bush is insane, but not demented. If you think having an insane right-wing president is bad, please believe me: compared to a president suffering dementia, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

ellroon said...

Well said, Steve. I am just behind you in age and both my parents are dead. My father cared for my mother until her death, and my stepmother cared for my father until his, so I never was fully confronted with the difficulties of old age until dealing with my mother-in-law. She is physically frail but luckily mentally all there.

I wonder how hard mega-corporation cattle industries have worked to silence the connection between the eating of mad cow products and Alzheimer's? Try googling Alzheimer's Mad Cow for an eyeful.