Sunday, September 20, 2009

Please take notes

Steven Benen of Washington Monthly describes Obama's adroit 'educating' of Stephanopoulos over mandatory health insurance: individual mandates:

At that point, Stephanopoulos referenced Merriam Webster's, to try to nail down a precise definition of a "tax." The president responded, "George, the fact that you looked up Merriam's Dictionary, the definition of tax increase, indicates to me that you're stretching a little bit right now. Otherwise, you wouldn't have gone to the dictionary to check on the definition."

The host added, "But your critics say it is a tax increase."

Obama replied, "My critics say everything is a tax increase."

And here endeth the lesson.

Photobucket

Remember, this man has taught law students, students trying to weasel out of due dates, tests and papers. He knows how to recognize and deal with bullshitters....

4 comments:

Steve Bates said...

There's just one problem. I loathe Georgie Steponallofus (as I labeled him years ago in some doggerel), but in this case, he's absolutely right: an individual mandate without a full subsidy IS a tax increase, and, I might add, a regressive tax increase. No one has been "educated" here, and there's just one bullshitter to be dealt with. Take it from one of the 46.5 million uninsured, one who is about to face... call it what it is in fact... a tax increase.

ellroon said...

I stand educated. Thanks, Steve.

Steve Bates said...

You stand educated, ellroon? Relax. Sit down. Take a load off your feet. After this purported debate, none of us will be left standing... except insurance executives. Perhaps long ago, knowledge was power, but I wouldn't bet on it now.

ellroon said...

Well if I sit down, I lose all that edjamication, don't I?

You are really on the front lines with this health care rumpus, Steve, and so I appreciate your perspective. May all the insurance executives be stricken with an incurable flesh eating bacteria....