Monday, December 17, 2007

This is what our country has become

Via Hipparchia of Over the Cliff, Onto the Rocks, this woman was treated horribly by der Department von Homeland Sekurity:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

During the last twenty-four hours I have probably experienced the greatest humiliation to which I have ever been subjected. During these last twenty-four hours I have been handcuffed and chained, denied the chance to sleep, been without food and drink and been confined to a place without anyone knowing my whereabouts, imprisoned. Now I am beginning to try to understand all this, rest and review the events which began as innocently as possible.

Last Sunday I and a few other girls began our trip to New York. We were going to shop and enjoy the Christmas spirit. We made ourselves comfortable on first class, drank white wine and looked forward to go shopping, eat good food and enjoy life. When we landed at JFK airport the traditional clearance process began. We were screened and went on to passport control. As I waited for them to finish examining my passport I heard an official say that there was something which needed to be looked at more closely and I was directed to the work station of Homeland Security. There I was told that according to their records I had overstayed my visa by 3 weeks in 1995. For this reason I would not be admitted to the country and would be sent home on the next flight. I looked at the official in disbelief and told him that I had in fact visited New York after the trip in 1995 without encountering any difficulties. A detailed interrogation session ensued.
Luckily she could tell who she was dealing with:
I saw the officials in this section handle other cases and it was clear that these were men anxious to demonstrate their power. Small kings with megalomania. I was careful to remain completely cooperative, for I did not yet believe that they planned to deport me because of my "crime". When 5 hours had passed and I had been awake for 24 hours, I was told that they were waiting for officials who would take me to a kind of waiting room. There I would be given a bed to rest in, some food and I would be searched. What they thought they might find I cannot possibly imagine. Finally guards appeared who transported me to the new place. I saw the bed as if in a mirage, for I was absolutely exhausted. What turned out was something else. I was taken to another office exactly like the one where I had been before and once again a long wait ensued. In all, it turned out to be 5 hours. At this office all my things were taken from me. I succeeded in sending a single sms to worried relatives and friends when I was granted a bathroom break. After that the cell phone was taken from me. After I had been sitting for 5 hours I was told that they were now waiting for guards who would take me to a place where I could rest and eat. Then I was placed in a cubicle which looked like an operating room. Attached to the walls were 4 steel plates, probably intended to serve as bed and a toilet.
This makes me so proud to be an American. Making the rest of the world hate us, one tourist at a time.

3 comments:

Sorghum Crow said...

What a bunch of nincompoops! She has it exactly right when she says, "Small kings with megalomania." One problem with so many bureaucrats, government functionaries, etc. is their complete lack of an imagination. They only see in black and white and have no idea what gray is.

ellroon said...

Reading the comments on her thread is fascinating. There are still people blustering and trying to excuse such behavior. (I posted an apology on behalf of our country as soon as I figured out how to do numbers in Icelandic.

It's hard when you are with the 28% loyal Bushie people and sinking rapidly.

Anonymous said...

We are paying for this stupidity. The foreign tourists have disappeared from the Gulf Coast. The world will find somewhere else to spend their money.

If there was actually a problem, how in hell did she get a visa to get on the aircraft in Iceland?