Saturday, November 24, 2007

Revenge for those who fly

And are forced to listen to ads.... John Hargrave rises to the challenge:

US Airways management has to listen,
when you have their home number.

I'm on the plane, and they're trying to sell me an airline credit card.

This is a sign of desperation, an airline on its last legs: peddling us credit cards during the flight. It's not enough that they've taken our meals, our leg room, and our on-time departures. Now they take our dignity, by hitting us up for an airline credit card while we are held captive on their smelly planes.

Here's how US Airways does it: they turn one unlucky stewardess into a seat-to-seat saleswoman. She gives you the pitch, then she walks down the aisle with applications, while people try to avoid meeting her gaze. It is awkward.

[snip]
Since my previous attempts to change the US Airways policy had gotten me nowhere, I decided to call Christ at his home. At 5:30 a.m. [Click here to listen]

TRAVIS CHRIST: Hello?

JOHN HARGRAVE: Hello, may I speak with Mr. Travis Christ?

TC: Yeah, that's me.

JH: Oh, hello Mr. Christ. My name's John Hargrave, and I'm here to tell you about a fantastic new credit card offer...

TC: Do you know what time it is here?

JH: What time?

TC: Five in the morning.

JH: Oh.

TC: So take me off your list and don't call me again.

JH: See, that's funny. I was sleeping on the plane the other day, and you tried to sell me a credit card.

TC: [Hang up]

It continues. Hargrave shows wonderful persistence and illustrates the stupidity of forced credit card pitches to a captive audience with great humor.

No comments: