Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Blog sprinkles

Photobucket

It's the end of the world!!! Sell everything and meet me on the mountain top in your best bed sheets!



Uh oh... Mongolia is the new frontier for mining...

Making passports almost impossible to get?

Only 4 shrimp a week? Who the hell eats only 4 shrimp at a sitting? Seafood from the Gulf has oil. And dispersants. And chemicals. Which are not going away any time soon.

Sneaking about the closed Post Office Railway in London.

Do not piss this woman off:


Mysterious Vesta.

Help Greenpeace sort through the BP documents.

Countdown with Keith Olbermann starts June 20th:


Pictures of alternate energy.

6 comments:

Steve Bates said...

Is digby's post scary enough for you? I ref'd and linked you and digby in a post about my own passport experience. Mine came up for renewal shortly after we moved to this house, and somehow, though I had no immediate travel plans, I thought I'd better get my ducks in a row just in case something weird happened. So now I'm set for another 8 years, which probably corresponds with my likely lifespan. But what will happen to people not so foresighted, well, OK, lucky, as I was?

Got a passport near its expiry? Get it renewed. You just never know...

ellroon said...

Have my passport (activated last year) so now I can visit Canada or Mexico or those weird states past the Rockies....

Caught BadTux's comment on your post. Made me feel a little better that there was some reason behind the request for detailed information.

Steve Bates said...

Well, yes, but I'd still hate to see law enforcement requests for citizenship papers other than at America's borders become a routine practice. A citizen's right to privacy is like a woman's right to choose abortion: neither should have to spend every waking hour justifying what they do and who they are.

ellroon said...

Yes. We are getting inured to the constant demand for our personal information. Soon we will be barcoded at birth...

Steve Bates said...

"We are getting inured to the constant demand..."

If what you mean is "burdened almost to the point of medical disability," I believe the word you want is (ahem) "insured."

ellroon said...

Ha! How about .. 'we are getting absurd'...