Tuesday, March 13, 2007

When you are singing to impress a mate

Try to hold that note as long as you can:

Using tags suctioned to the whales' bodies, researchers tracked the whales and found that as they feed, they send out calls to let each other know where they are, each group employing a different sound.

The noises play a similarly important role during mating season when males sing long, low-pitched songs to indicate their reproductive fitness to females. Females select mates based on size and estimate that by evaluating males' songs: Larger males can take in more air and hold notes longer.

Would this possibly explain the mystery of the appeal of the Rolling Stones?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Update: Steve has written the lyrics, now we just need the music.....
Steve Bates said... She seeks the company of males,
And tries to find a prince of whales.
That lady orca never fails
Who finds the long-and-lows.

Who knew, that in the scheme of fate,
A blowhard is the bestest mate?
And yet... she must avoid the date
Who's shouting, "THAR SHE BLOWS!"

- SB the YDD

5 comments:

Steve Bates said...

She seeks the company of males,
And tries to find a prince of whales.
That lady orca never fails
Who finds the long-and-lows.

Who knew, that in the scheme of fate,
A blowhard is the bestest mate?
And yet... she must avoid the date
Who's shouting, "THAR SHE BLOWS!"

- SB the YDD

(I have no idea if the pictured whales are orcas. I just needed something that fit the meter. - SB)

Steve Bates said...

now we just need the music..... ellroon

If only I had my notation software installed, but I abandoned it years ago. Think "sea chantey," but make do with a regular Irish jig in 6/8:

so | so mi do so | la la la,
la | so mi do mi | re re re,
la | so mi do so | la la la,
la | so mi re do | re - -

so | so mi do so | la la la,
la | so mi do mi | re so so,
la | so mi do so | la ti do...
la | so do - | (spoken/shouted)

ellroon said...

/doing a jig...

Steve Bates said...

I just sang it to Stella (the poor soul; my voice is terrible) over the phone, and realized that it works just as well in 4/4, like many sea chanteys.

My cousin John used to crew the tall ship Elissa, an iron barque berthed in Galveston, TX, refitted to its original sail-driven configuration, and he also sang in the sea chantey group called The Barquentones. I wish I could claim any such fame for myself. His first test before they allowed him to be part of the crew was to climb the rigging to the top of the mainmast and back down. Better John than me! (I took a lot of pics of the Elissa on our recent short vacation; I need to download and post a few.)

ellroon said...

You are getting way beyond my level of learning. I will have to call in my musically trained sister to help me.