Thursday, March 01, 2007

What Al Gore did during Katrina

Was extremely presidential even though FEMA tried to BLOCK him several times:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Award-winning vice-Prez Al Gore chartered a plane in Sept. 2005 and flew with it for 2 roundtrips to New Orleans to rescue and medEvac 100s of patients from Charity Hospital and bring them to Tennessee. The VP declined interviews while he was shuttling the evacuees that Saturday September 3 and for a 2nd return flight he made the next day, but the doctors who flew with him talked about the experience.

Gore had to work around a sequential blockade by FEMA, which naturally denied his team permissions, repeatedly.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP)- Al Gore helped airlift some 270 Katrina evacuees on two private charters from New Orleans, acting at the urging of a doctor who saved the life of the former vice president's son.

... [Gore] refused to be interviewed about the mercy missions he financed and flew last Saturday and Sunday. . . .

Compare and contrast:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

5 comments:

jurassicpork said...

Good catch, Ellroon. Thanks. I'll be linking to this tonight in my weekly blogwhoring post.

ellroon said...

Cool, thanks!

Anonymous said...

i'm almost in shock - i'm from new orleans, was watching media constantly during the whole mess to see what the hell was happening to my town and my house and my family - and never once saw anything or any reference to Gore. Either I was watching the wrong channel, or the channels were hiding it. Thank you very much for putting this piece on.

Anonymous said...

I had heard something about Gore and planes and being denied permission to help... I had no idea that he circumvented the FEMA blockade.
Good on him. And good on you, ellroon, for posting this.

ellroon said...

My estimation of Gore as a politician has gone up tremendously. It makes me gnash my teeth to think of how he would have handled 9/11....