Friday, November 17, 2006

A letter to Mrs. Haggard about her gay husband from a woman who has been there.

Ignorant Hussy writes:

"The first thing you should do is get tested for every STD known to humanity including HIV. If you ever have sex with your husband again, make him wear a condom. (Actually, that's good advice for someone who has discovered their straight spouse has cheated on them.) I know your church has probably told you that it's a sin to use condoms or they aren't effective in stopping the spread of STD, but medical professionals say otherwise. Who are you going to believe about condoms? A book written by bunch of bronze age nomads before condoms were invented?(paraphrasing Richard Dawkins) Or the Centers for Disease Control, the World Health Organization and the Whitman Walker Clinic?

The second thing you should know, being gay in and of itself is not evil. Your husband's dishonesty with himself and you is evil. Homophobia is evil. Homosexuality is not a disease to be cured. Going to spiritual "restoration" will not cure gayness. Geez, that sounds so Soviet, like going to a re-education camp. My S2BX was filled with self-loathing for years, his homosexuality was the invisible elephant in the home. I knew that he was keeping something from me, that there was some element of intimacy that was missing from our marriage, but he wouldn't talk about. Now that he's out, it's like a giant weight has been lifted from his shoulders. Maybe that was the sensation that I got when he told me. The weight left his shoulders and slammed me in the face."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been saying since Day One that Mrs. Haggard needs to get tested.

And I hope she's not blaming herself. He's a coward and a user!

ellroon said...

And sooooo closeted that it's painful.

Anonymous said...

Dear Ignorant Hussy (I'm only using your self-imposed label - not intending to be insulting),

I agree that what Driscoll posted was idiotic. I went to school with Gayle and she is a wonderful person; very genuine in all respects. I also agree with you that her husband was extremely cruel in subjecting her to the possibility of STDs. Where I do disagree with you is in your statement that condoms will prevent their spread. Place a condom and a cell of an STD under a microscope and you will see that the gap between the threads is more than 1000 times that of the STD - like trying to catch water on a screen. Once again Richard Dawkins speaks of what he knows not. Also, I know of no protestant group that has opposed condom use - they merely point out that they do not always prevent pregnancy and are useless in preventing STDs.