Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Have a very merry ... minuet.


There are days in my life when everything is dreary
I grow pessimistic, sad and world weary.
But when I'm tearful and fearfully upset
I always sing this merry little minuet:

They're rioting in Africa
They're starving in Spain
There's hurricanes in Florida
And Texas needs rain.

The whole world is festering
With unhappy souls
The French hate the Germans,
The Germans hate the Poles

Italians hate Yugoslavs
South Africans hate the Dutch
And I don't like anybody very much

But we can be grateful
And thankful and proud
That man's been endowed
With a mushroom shaped cloud

And we know for certain
That some happy day
Someone will set the spark off
And we will all be blown away

They're rioting in Africa
There's strife in Iran
What nature doesn't do to us
Will be done by our fellow man.
Or Tom Lehrer might do:
When you attend a funeral
It is sad to think that sooner 'r l-
ater those you love will do the same for you.
And you may have thought it tragic,
Not to mention other adjec-
Tives, to think of all the weeping they will do - but don't you worry -
No more ashes, no more sackcloth,
And an armband made of black cloth
Will someday never more adorn a sleeve.
For if the bomb that drops on you
Gets your friends and neighbours too,
There'll be nobody left behind to grieve......



And who is going up in smoke?



And Britain.

And Russia.

3 comments:

Steve Bates said...

ellroon, I worry about you. When I start posting the Merry Minuet and Tom Lehrer's "We Will All Go Together," I know I'm depressed. Hang in there, my friend.

mahakal said...

And the bees.

ellroon said...

Holy crap. The bees.

Gotta blog this.