Friday, December 05, 2008

Justifiable homicide

A Malaysian karaoke enthusiast hogged the microphone for so long that people set upon him and stabbed him to death.

Abdul Sani Doli refused to hand over the microphone at a coffee shop that doubles as a karaoke bar in the town of Sandakan, Borneo. Two men have been arrested on suspicion of murder after the altercation erupted a few minutes before midnight.

The town's police chief, Rosli Mohammad Isa, said initial investigations showed the victim had sung several numbers on Wednesday night. Other patrons fumed as Abdul Sani hogged the microphone, a scenario perhaps familiar to karaoke devotees the world over.

Three men on a neighbouring table confronted him on the pavement outside the coffee shop and witnesses saw a heated argument break out. It turned into a punch-up and Abdul Sani was killed.

Karaoke rage is not unheard of in Asia. There have been several reported cases of singers being assaulted, shot or stabbed mid-performance, usually over how songs are sung.

Hope the song wasn't Killing Me Softly....

5 comments:

Steve Bates said...

"Hope the song wasn't Killing Me Softly...."

For the assailants, it sounds more likely that it was "I Fought the Law, and the Law Won."

Anonymous said...

Excuse me, but isn't killing karaoke singers and mimes considered justifiable homicide in all civilized societies?

Sorghum Crow said...

Sometimes one song is too many. Ask anyone who's heard me sing.

Steve Bates said...

From "karaoke" to "carrion" to "carried off" ...

I have never understood the fascination with karaoke, for either performers or audience. I couldn't imagine stepping onstage unless I was prepared to deliver a quality performance. Then again, there must be something wrong with me: I didn't even play a lot of air guitar as a child. And I inherited my voice from the wrong side of the family...

(@#$% CAPTCHA text keeps having intermixed i's and j's... third try now...)

ellroon said...

I've not yet been confronted with karaoke, but I'm making diligent efforts to avoid it.

I would think when fellow customers begin to groan when you launch into yet another song, you should take the hint and get off the stage. (What movie was it, Bryan, where the annoyed main character is in Central Park, sees a mime practicing and shoves him off the walk?)

Steve: From "karaoke" to "carrion" to "carried off" gotta work in Krakatoa in there somewhere....

Sorghum Crow, I'm sure however you sing, you do it with enthusiasm... (off to check your blog on how you are doing with your job...)