Friday, December 26, 2008

Chesnuts roasting in an open fire

(I never quite understood that open fire thing... right out in the middle of the living room?)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Some 7,000 jumbo-sized snow globes were recalled by Hallmark Cards Inc. because the holiday decorations can act as a magnifying glass when exposed to sunlight and ignite nearby combustible materials, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said on Tuesday.

The snowman-shaped snow globes were sold in October and November at Hallmark Gold Crown stores nationwide for about $100 each.

2 comments:

Steve Bates said...

Cool! I want one of those...

Your subject reminds me of the story of the old men who belonged to the Chess Club, standing around in the lobby, bragging about their tournament victories of yesteryear, all of the men talking, none of them listening. You know... chess nuts boasting in an open foyer...

(I wish I could say that was original, but it's not.)

Now I'm off to the piano to play the damned thing, to purge the earworm...

ellroon said...

Lol! I know a few of those chess nut types...

For this post I tried to find the wonderful Calvin and Hobbes strip where Calvin's mother tells Calvin his father is lighting a fire in the living room. Calvin yells,"Cool!" and rushes off. He comes back disappointed..."in the fireplace".