Thursday, September 21, 2006

The blame game begins.

Abu Gonzales had it wrong about the abducted Canadian.

On Wednesday, a Justice Department spokesman said Mr. Gonzales had intended to make only a narrow point: that deportations are now handled by the Department of Homeland Security, not the Department of Justice.

The spokesman, Charles Miller, said the attorney general forgot that at the time of Mr. Arar’s deportation, such matters were still handled by the Immigration and Naturalization Service, which was part of the Department of Justice.

[snip]

The attorney general’s refusal to take responsibility for the government’s conduct in the case comes when the treatment of people detained in the campaign against terrorism is again at the center of public debate.

The CIA runs away from its secret prisons.

7 comments:

Mustang Bobby said...

The Canadians are a tad irked that the US is treating Arar as if he was still a terrorist in spite of his complete exoneration, but why should justice get in the way of a re-election campaign?

OT: Welcome to my blogroll, Ellroon.

Rook said...

Hey, nice place ellroon. Personally, I think your decor is so much more uplifting and positive then Mustang's. Brown is just so, well blah. Not to confuse that with Blah 3, but that is a different subject.

Only problem, I don't see my blog on your roll. Be careful here, I might have to re-institute my "Blogs that suck" shtick.

Rook said...

Oh, by the way, welcome to my blog roll.

ellroon said...

I'm scrambling to avoid the dreaded Blogs That Suck list! I'd never recover.

Appreciate being blog rolled, thank you!

Rook said...

I have offered up a mia culpa over at my blog. I am trying to fight the internalized sexism of western culture. But ever so often it slips in and I embarrass myself by falling very short of the mark.

I apologize for my careless and thoughtless post.

ellroon said...

lol, will go and look at said apology. Accepted with some amusement, none was needed.

Blame the western culture, it makes everybody rampage around and bomb shit.

Mustang Bobby said...

Rook, my blog is not brown; it's "Sanddollar." (Sheesh, straight people have no sense of fashion or color.)

If the Canadians invade, does that mean we'd have to put gravy on our fries? My cholesterol couldn't take that.

On the other hand, I've gotten used to the metric system since I listen to CBC Radio Two all day.