Sunday, January 14, 2007

Spocko does not sing nor dance

But thanks us for uniting and becoming a single voice that said no to KSFO's hate fest. We should be the ones thanking you, Spocko!

Update: Mike Stark at Calling All Wingnuts has a wonderful breakdown (in more ways than one) of KSFO's community outreach special broadcast show:
"As interesting as Morgan’s astroturf callers were, another important story is how devastatingly poor the hosts’ performance actually was. If this was an effort to save their broadcast slot or to shore up failing advertising revenues, I fear they fell short in their efforts. Way short. Lee Rodgers even went so far as to blackmail his advertisers through implication. After reading an email from a supporter that asked for the names of the advertisers that withdrew support of the station, Rodgers said, “these people who want to play that boycott game… they seem to forget… this is a sword that cuts both ways. We have plenty of people that listen to this radio station that say ‘hell, if somebody is trying to shut up the people on my favorite radio station, I don’t think I want to give them any money,’ so it could work two ways.”

I’m no advertising buyer, but if a radio show host suggested that he’d have his listeners boycott my product if I chose not to advertise on his show… well… Let’s just say that I’m quite sure I’d be thinking the host was a little kooky and little unworthy of my ad dollars."

2 comments:

Eli said...

"The book" for most stations tells you that if you can't say something nice about an advertiser, you say nothing. If you want to keep your job you also need to watch what you say in the lead up to an ad. You don't run a Bridgestone ad in a news spot that talks about Bridgestone being sued for making lousy tires.

You have to be a major star to say bad things about advertisers, and these people aren't that big.


They were already insulting advertisers' products on the air. I think they called some truck sponsor a piece of shit, or something similar. Smoooooth.


I find this whole story hilarious - they tried to shut spocko down, and his story ends up in the Chron, the NYT and the WaPo. Mwahahahahaha...

ellroon said...

I wonder how long they will be able to spew their crap before the advertisers have had enough. Direct sunlight is kinda hard on some kinds of pond scum.

But I'm sure it's hard for them to learn new tricks when they've been hired to mock and disparage everyone and everything except the uneducated white racist non-thinking fundie....