Thursday, January 11, 2007

Kissinger then and now

How little has changed. Steve Bates' doggerel in 2002:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I Wonder Who's Kissinger Now

You have held many posts in the sweet long ago,
Though today they mean nothing to you,
You have vowed your allegiance to each one in turn,
And have sworn to this newest one, too.

Tho' the Nobel Peace Prize may have dazzled your eyes,
Now they're glazed as you face this new task;
Is it service to country? or Henry? Well, gosh,
I mean, really, old boy, need you ask?

I wonder who's Kissinger now?
His words, can they still rock the Dow?
Wonder what's hidden behind those old eyes;
I surmise... he still lies.

I wonder who's writing his script,
Of what background already it's stripped;
He is calling a halt to the thought it's Dub's fault...
I wonder who's Kissinger now?

If you want to feel outraged, disgusted and pissed,
Just imagine Dub going scot-free;
Culpability? none! Guilt? his doesn't exist;
"Nine-eleven? Oh, no, no, not me!"

But the world moves apace, and the terror's today
Blamed on whomever Henry can smear;
So you never can tell, is it Bush made this hell?
And just who we're invading next year...

I wonder who's Kissinger now,
Wonder whether this gig's his last bow;
Wonder which Clinton appointees he fries;
What schmoe buys, all his lies?

I wonder, at seventy-nine,
Can he stick to the Bush-approved line?
Wonder will he go... too far with that ego?
I wonder who's Kissinger now?

Steve Bates






3 comments:

Steve Bates said...

FTR, I wrote this when Bush appointed Kissinger to chair the 9/11 Commission, a post Henry soon forsook because it had the potential to interfere with his money-making activities.

The excellent singer/songwriter Dave Lippman independently wrote his own parody of the same song at about the same time. Check out his other stuff while you're there.

Steve Bates said...

Clarification: I do know Dave, but neither of us knew beforehand that the other was writing a parody of this song. The main difference between Dave and me is that he performs his stuff superbly, to appreciative audiences, while I'm better off keeping my mouth shut.

ellroon said...

Keep your mouth shut? Then how will you play the recorder?

Oh well. Doggerel reads just as well without someone trying to sing it.