Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Cats v Aquarium and other such matters

Cat v aquarium.

A cure for Alzheimer's?

Gary Younge:  be careful of a polarizing debate over the causes of terrorism.  Nothing is that simple.

Ahmed Merabet's eulogy of his policeman brother:
One must not confuse extremists with Muslims. Madness has neither color nor religion. I want to make another point: stop painting everybody with the same brush, stop burning mosques or synagogues. You are attacking people. It won't bring back our dead, and it won't appease our families.
How long would you survive on other planets without a spacesuit?

BooMan: Why we are not Norway.  (Excellent list of questions)

Does there have to be historical accuracy in movies?

Sleepy time.

3 comments:

Steve Bates said...

You're probably aware that Sir Terry Pratchett suffers some very rare form of dementia, and now collaborates with someone... his spouse or a friend or a colleague... on every book he writes. If you're not aware of his condition, read the wiki about him.

Nothing would make me happier than to see such scourges of human mental activity put down for good and all, especially in creative people such as Sir Terry and my late mother (who was gone mentally long before she departed physically).

ellroon said...

I think I remember you and Bryan talking about Pratchett a while back. I keep telling myself I need to read his stuff.

And yes, I thought of you and your mom when I saw this article. How I wish it to be true; how wonderful it would be to get rid of the horrible unraveling that some of us will go through.

Steve Bates said...

Pratchett is something of an acquired taste, but he's not too difficult to acquire. First, you have to like British humor... I mean, humour. If you're going to read his work, you'll inevitably start with the Discworld series, and you may as well start at the beginning, The Colour of Magic. I've been reading the series two-threaded; I started both at the beginning and at the book most current when I started. It hasn't effed up my brain too much to do that... come to think of it, maybe that's where that !@#$%^&* music I'm hearing is coming from...