Friday, April 27, 2007

Does this cartoon make me look offensive?

Via jj at Unrepentant Old Hippie:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

jj notes:
It refers, of course, to the SCOTUS decision to uphold the ban on late-term abortion. The cartoon suggests that maybe, just maybe, the fact that the five justices who voted to uphold the ban are all catholic might have had something to do with their decision. (Ya think?!!!?) Now Catholics are going ballistic, denouncing the cartoon as "anti-Catholic bigotry".

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure it sheds any light, unless the argument is that Catholics are to be expected to follow the direction of the Pope and are therefore to be regarded as under the influence of a foreign power -- which is to say, yes, it's potentially offensive.

That having been said, it's also a noteworthy observation which might not have been obvious to people, and it is hardly to be regarded as of no statistical significance.

So what I'm saying is, you raise an interesting point worthy of consideration and for that reason alone it is not inappropriate.

ellroon said...

Why thank you. Nicely said, sir!
To me it would be offensive if we DIDN'T note the Catholic influence.

Btw, when on earth do you sleep?
(I'm up because I couldn't sleep... a rarity.)

naiveintellect said...

I learned something from the cartoon. Coming from a Catholic background (although I do not consider myself Catholic nor religious) I had no idea that over half of the current Supreme Court were Catholic. The cartoon, to me, is nothing but a mere orservation. Unfortunately this may cause a small block in the seperation of Church and State.

Good toon, though

ellroon said...

I knew that some were Catholic because of the references to Opus Dei as the Alito hearings were going on.

But.../jarring organ chord: NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquistion!! (And the return to the Dark Ages....)